Sunday, January 27, 2013


INDUSTRIAL SPACE, ARTISINAL TASTE: COFFEED
 
 

I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into COFFEED. I was already under the misconception that it was yet another cookie cutter coffee shop, but I was completely wrong.  Upon walking in with my lovely wife, Mrs. D, I was greeted with smiles from the incredibly chill staff. Despite the warehouse feel and high ceilings, COFFEED has a welcoming, warm embrace.  My eyes were immediately pulled to the far right wall, dedicated to their support of Brooklyn Grange Farm.  COFFEED supports fair trade growers and also helped to sponsor the Brooklyn Grange Farm new compost system.  You can find many artisanal products for sale from the Brooklyn Grange Farm and it was wonderful to see a restaurant truly standing behind local organization.  As the warm weather hopefully quickly approaches, COFFEED will be sourcing much of their produce from the Brooklyn Grange farm and will also be the host of the first-year round Brooklyn Grange farm stand.  Ok I admit I was being sucked in and I had not even tried their coffee yet! I am also the first to admit I am hard to please when it comes to a cup of Joe.  However right there on the front of their menu it states in their mission statement “To provide the best cup of coffee in New York by sourcing some of the world’s best single origin coffees roasted by, Giorgio, one of the most experienced roasters, in the tri-state region”.  With that said I was up for the challenge.  I sadly did not get the lovely women behind the counters name who eagerly offered me so much wonderful information on COFFEED.  She was obviously proud to be part of which was really great to see.  I ordered a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain and she asked if I was open to trying a similar blend.  Being I had never had the Kona, which she suggested. I was up for it and I am so glad I did since it was a fabulous cup of coffee.  What made the cup even more fabulous is that 10% of all coffee & drink sales as well as 5% of food sales go directly to the local charity City Growers.  For those of you not familiar with City Growers, it connects the urban communities with agriculture & food through farm education and advocacy.  Being that Mrs. D and I were pleased, we decided to stay for lunch.  I ordered the Turkey & Swiss and Mrs. D ordered the Turkey Club.  All sandwiches are made with the wonderful bread of Tom Cat Bakery in Long Island City.  All I can say is simple, classic and tasty. Mrs. D and I had a wonderful experience at COFFEED and we are both looking forward to going back.  Being they have free WiFi in addition to amazing coffee and tasty food I might have found a new place to work from.  With that said congrats to COFFEED and I will see you soon.


COFFEED
37-18 Northern Blvd
Astoria, NY 11101
(718)606-1299
@COFFEEDNYC
*Accepts all major Credit Cards

 
ALSO MENTIONED

BROOKLYN GRANGE FARM
www.BrooklynGrangeFarm.com
@BrooklynGrange

TOM CAT BAKERY
@TomCatBakery

CITY GROWERS
@CityGrowers

No comments:

Post a Comment